Dental Informatics Business Systems Analyst Intermediate
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
July 13, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The School of Dentistry has an exciting opening for a Business Systems Analyst Intermediate. Dental Informatics is charged with providing and supporting information technology to faculty, students, and staff to further the School of Dentistry’s teaching, research, and healthcare missions. This is an opportunity to work for the #1 ranked Dental School in the United States and #3 ranked Dental School in the world!
Providing exemplary customer services requires collaborative work across various technology disciplines. This role will be key in helping the School of Dentistry establish its dental electronic health record infrastructure in the cloud. The successful candidate must be able to dynamically balance support of legacy EHR with adapting to a fast changing cloud service. This position is term limited for two years.
The School of Dentistry is a rewardingly, diverse, and collaborative environment. The successful candidate will possess the ability to perform in a fast-paced environment, work with minimal supervision, have strong problem-solving abilities, take initiative, and have the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to groups with diverse technical and non-technical backgrounds.
Analyze business and clinical information needs for Dental School clinics with concentration on the MiDent patient management system.
- Document and refine service scope and objectives through collaborative interviews and fact finding to assess clinical information goals and needs that together, constitute MiDent.
- Learn clinic operations, patient flow, and communication needs of clinicians as it pertains to our patient electronic health record (EHR), digital imaging systems, data warehouse and business intelligence.
- Adopt approach to shadow students, faculty and staff in clinic with patients present to absorb desired use of technology making suggestions for improvement; and in constituant offices with individuals and groups to aid overall efficiency.
- Update and create test cases to aid testing of functionality, system performance, data quality, and user acceptance of systems, services and upgrades.
- Influence the client to understand the benefits of adopting cloud services like Box, Google, BlueJeans, Qualtrics, Canvas, Labtrac and more.
- Document solutions, update process map diagrams, and present options for improvements, automation or migrations from legacy to new cloud based EHR and services.
Support, enhance, adopt and implement services and solutions for faculty, staff and students with the systems and services for Patient Care, Research and Academics.
- With a service delivery approach, provide hands-on operational support to our clinics, labs and school in a manner that builds efficacy and credibility while providing training and learning.
- Learn and support the financial information processes related to the EHR, warehouse reporting with Tableau, workflow and information delivery across the school.
- Support and assist creation of evolving workflow capability in our intranet called MiTools, and with cloud services such as Google scripting and Qualtrics; demo and pilot options for clients.
- Create and support ad hoc and Crystal reports to maintain, fix, or update the legacy EHR for patient care.
- Use established procedures and professional judgement and take responsibility for work while seeking guidance or assistance from supervisor and other staff.
- Build up knowledge base documentation and its organization to be more comprehensive and searchable.
- Document qualitative and quantitative data quality knowledge ranging from date ranges to reliability of diagnosis coding relationships.
Functional and technical coordination assistance of projects.
- Assist analysts and project leads with meeting planning, facilitation and follow-up.
- Utilize collaborative methods and facilitation tools in a group setting to help assure successful client interactions and change management for initiatives.
- Immersion in client environment is critical for developing trust and relationships, and to provide testing, chair-side support, and feedback for service improvements.
- Partner with others such as patient services, compliance, faculty, and informatics specialists to leverage successes, share efforts and promote teamwork.
- Work on more than one task at a time, manage work effectively by prioritize and balancing projects and support.
Departmental administrative support and other systems projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 3 years of IT related work experience.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills are required as demonstrated by building relationships, open and friendly interactions, initiating communication, responding to others in a timely manner, respecting diversity and the opinion of others, and exhibiting a confident and positive attitude.
• Service orientation toward clients and teamwork.
• Experience creating test plans and executing testing for enterprise applications.
• Experience preparing for and providing demonstrations to users for enterprise applications
• Understanding of SQL or reporting tools.
• Excellent attendance record.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent ability to multitask.
Healthcare information system experience
Proven experience with SQL or reporting tools like Crystal, Tableau or Business Objects
Experience with various cloud services for collaboration, project/task management like SmartSheet, process mapping like Lucidchart, usability methods, or others.
Ability with Google sites, forms, scripting.
- Creative Problem Solving with Strategic Thinking.
- Defines a problem, analyzes causes, targets possible solutions, communicates the best solution and develops action plans.
- Continually evaluates existing processes, products or services and uses creativity to improve upon them.
- Builds a case for action; involves others in the decision-making process; communicates decisions.
- Discerns when it is necessary to seek authorization.
- Accommodates multiple demands for commitment of time, energy, and resources.
- Advocates strongly for new ideas, processes and/or service in order to increase efficiency, quality, and customer/client satisfaction.
- Prepares organization/unit (through words and examples) to anticipate change.
- Continues to improve methods to collect and analyze data for decision making.
- Assesses long term consequences when implementing short term solutions.
- Outlines criteria that enable others to be more efficient.
- Position requires compliance with HIPAA, U-M, state and federal regulations and standards.
- Occasional evening or weekend work is required to test, upgrade or maintain services during off-hours.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
M-Dentistry Mission: Advancing health through education, service, research and discovery.
Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate in this role the following organization core values, but not limited to-
Compassion: Encourage a culture of collaboration, collegiality and helpfulness based on empathy and respect.
Leadership: Shape the future leaders of dentistry.
Excellence: Intend to be the best at all we do.
Responsibility: Promote integrity, professionalism, and accountability to ensure ethical decision making.
Trust: Commit to honest transparent communication to build relationships.
Creativity:Challenge existing knowledge to foster problem-solving and new discovery.
Inclusion: Embrace and celebrate our diverse community.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 160089
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.