Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: The Department of Quality, Safety and Risk Prevention (QSRP) equips and empowers VUMC faculty and staff to offer care that is safe, timely, effective, efficient, and patient-centered. As a member of QSRP, this position d evelops and modifies Business Intelligence solutions independently. Designs data models used for reporting and analytics, develops ETL processes for data, and utilizes BI tools to satisfy end user data needs. Implements large/multiple development projects. Functions as lead on projects. May lead teams. Coaches development of Business Intelligence Developers.
Develops or modifies data models, ETL processes, and BI tool solutions.
Ensures appropriate documentation for all development and modification.
Ensures integrity and security of institutional data.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE TOOLS (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the effective use of the tool in complex applications. Experienced in all core features of the tool. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of advanced concepts and features. Uses tool consistently in delivering applications. May have successfully completed training in advanced techniques and tools.
DATA MARTS (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the effective application, operation or practice in complex applications. Experienced in all core features and functions. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of advanced concepts. Applies concepts and tools consistently in delivering applications. May have successfully completed training in advanced techniques, features and tools.
DATA WAREHOUSING (INTERMEDIATE): - Designed a system in which data warehousing was a primary component. Has detailed knowledge of corporate, as well as local, data warehouse models. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of options available in various data warehouse components. Demonstrates an understanding of the different data warehouse structures , both in theory and practical application. Capable of predicting performance on the basis of the available options and environments, including the ability to synthesize local and regional data requirements into a specific data warehouse application.
ETL/ETT/ETM TOOLS AND PROCESS (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates the use of key ETL/ETT/ETM tools and utilities independently to accomplish appropriate database tasks. Has significant experience extracting data from a specified source database and taking out a desired subset of data for at least one major data warehouse project. Has transformed the acquired data - using complex rules or lookup tables, or creating combinations with other data - to convert it to the desired state. Responsible for writing the resulting data [either all of the subset or just the changes] to a target database. Capable of providing support and direction in the use of the Company's primary ETL/ETT/ETM tool for other team members. Identifies new features of immediate benefit and develops plans to incorporate them into existing procedures.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.