The Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR) in conjunction with Drohan Management Group (DMG) is seeking a dynamic and creative leader to serve as its Executive Director (ED). In this role, the ED will provide national and international leadership as the spokesperson for the mission and purpose of SSR. This is a half-time position (20 hours/week). An additional client may be added to this position to make it a full-time Account Executive position at DMG.
The Executive Director has a central role in strategic planning and also serves as the Account Executive for SSR for Drohan Management Group. He/she will manage a team of people to ensure that the operational needs of SSR are fulfilled. The Executive Director assumes responsibility for oversight of all day-to-day SSR operations and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have association experience, including but not limited to healthcare, medical, scientific, financial and legal services, insurance and business related associations. He/she is a strategic thinker with proven leadership, agile organization and people skills and strong business intelligence.
SSR and DMG Background:
The Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR) was founded in 1967 to promote the study of reproduction by fostering interdisciplinary communication among scientists, holding conferences, and publishing meritorious studies. Today, our members come from 50 countries around the world. The mission of SSR is to advance scientific knowledge by promoting outstanding research and training in reproductive sciences and to protect and preserve human and animal reproductive health.
The Society is an association of scientists and physicians interested in research in reproduction. Some members are engaged in basic or applied research, while others perform clinical practice. All are dedicated to advancing knowledge of reproductive processes in animals and in humans. Members are affiliated with colleges and universities, medical and veterinary schools, medical centers, research institutes, government agencies, and industry in countries around the world.
SSR members have made key contributions to stem cell biology, transgenesis, treatment of infertility, contraception, livestock production, pregnancy health, treatment of reproductive system cancers, and identification of environmental contaminants.
At Drohan Management Group (DMG), our mission is to promote the continued well-being and growth of our client associations and professional societies by providing them with professional management, efficient day-to-day leadership, and progressive guidance for the future.
Established in 1986, DMG provides management, outsourcing and consulting services to our association clients. Our goal is to allow our clients to focus on their mission while we take care of all of the details of running it.
• Manages client expectations within an annual agreed upon client scope of work.
• Works with multiple clients and different client cultures, schedules and strategic goals.
• Ensures balance of client work schedule within framework of strategic plans.
• Maintains and enhances client relationships.
• Assures that the Board, Executive Committee, and appropriate committee chairs are kept fully informed on the conditions and operations of the associations, and on all important factors influencing the organization.
• Participates in all meetings of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, as appropriate.
• Assists the Board in the development and execution of the strategic plan.
• Plans, formulates, and recommends, for the approval of the Board, policies and programs which will further the objectives of the association.
• Executes all decisions of the Board.
• Provides the necessary liaison and staff support to the committee chairs and committees to enable them to effectively perform their function.
• Develops, for the purpose of day-to-day administration, specific policies, procedures, and programs to support and implement the direction of the Board.
• Signs and executes such contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Board, as appropriate.
• Creates effective and efficient staff and leadership teams to carry out the work of the association.
• Maintains thorough communication with the Board, committees and members regarding association activities and projects.
• Develops timelines and work plans for programs, services and projects.
• Understands and consistently meets or exceeds deadlines.
• Seeks to continually upgrade skills and knowledge for the effective management of the association.
Programs & Services:
• Promotes interest and active participation in the association’s activities on the part of the membership and committees, and reports to the Board as appropriate.
• Oversees the Marketing Department in managing the associations’ publications, including journals, brochures, and directories.
• Oversees the Meetings Department in the planning, promotion, and administration of all official meetings of the association.
• Oversees the Membership Services Department in planning, organizing, and directing membership promotion and retention programs, evaluates results and recommends policies, procedures, and actions to achieve membership goals.
• Performs a fiduciary function for the association, including maintaining official minutes of the Board of Directors and other official meetings of the association, providing security and appropriate confidentiality for all files, legal and historic documents, membership and other databases.
• Ensures programs and projects meet the financial goals set by the Board.
Administrative effectiveness and demonstrated successes with teams and boards
A collaborative team-builder and manager capable of building high-functioning teams
Experience with membership engagement and growth
Association management leadership experience
Budgeting & financial management
Grant experience, including knowledge of foundation, government agency and organizational grant opportunities and connections
Campaigns and Outreach
Meeting and event experience
Volunteer engagement and understanding of committee dynamics
Initiative and resourcefulness
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; special interest and/or experience with reproductive sciences preferred. Advanced degree a plus.
Certification in association management (CAE) preferred.
• Serve on appropriate DMG teams.
• Function as DMG Team Member in accordance with our corporate vision and guiding principles.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position is located in Reston, Virginia. The Executive Director is expected to work from the SSR/DMG offices in Reston.